A fire regardless of how small can cause a tremendous disaster, so the management and the security staff should always ensure:
- Safety rules and regulations are followed and observed always.
- Fire hazards are removed even something small like a piece of paper lying on the floor, or a burning cigarette bud etc.
- Whenever on duty check the fire equipment are in proper condition, if not inform the concerned.
- Have a thorough knowledge on where all are the fire systems, like fire alarm, hose-pipe, hose-reel are installed and their working/use. Where all are the fire exits, fire-drills to be attended whenever taking place.
- Incase you detect fire immediately inform the seniors on the exact location and nature of fire.
Incase of a fire, its important the determine the ‘type’ or the ‘class’ of fire. Broadly fire can be classified into four classes and there are different extinguishing for each class.
These fires involve the burning of normal combustible materials such as wood, paper, cloth etc. normally such fires are extinguished by cooling the material below the combustion accomplished by water. A pressurized water extinguisher or soda acid extinguisher can be used safely.
Such fires involve flammable or combustible liquids, flammable gases, greases and similar material. Water can’t be used a fire as it would tend to spread the fire. A smothering action is required to extinguish a class B fire by using a carbon dioxide or dry chemical can be used. Foam type of extinguisher is used on oil fires
This class of fire is involves energized electred equipment. Water cannot be used on such a fire as it can cause a severe electric shock as water is a good conductor of electricity, so carbon dioxide or dry chemical can be used.
Note: HALON type of a fire extinguisher which is inert gas delivered under pressure available as installed cants and nozzles or portable fire extinguisher is non-toxic and can be used on all the above classes i.e. class A,B, and C fires.
This class of fire involves combustible material like titanium or magnesium and a special chemical powder is used to extinguish this class of fire.
Finally, as a security staff you are to protect and conserve the organization’s property and prevent pilferage. You are to protect the employees, visitors, and their property. To prevent any action or situation that can cause injury or death and to provide highest quality and standards of security services.